First, as with our personal workout preferences and dietary restrictions, there is no one-size-fits-all when it comes to toothbrushes, which come in countless options these days. What works for you might not work for your partner or kids. Let me emphasize: Whether you prefer electric or manual toothbrushes, what matters most is that you’re brushing regularly. (A fancy toothbrush on your bathroom counter doesn’t matter if you’re not using it!)
Here is the breakdown of manual versus electric toothbrushes.
- Affordable and easy to replace—which is important because you need to get a new toothbrush every four months.
- Great at maintaining oral hygiene with proper brushing technique and the right toothpaste.
- Portable and available in many styles, from biodegradable to ultra-soft bristles.
- More effective at removal plaque and tartar buildup.
- Better for people with manual dexterity and limited mobility issues, such as the elderly.
- Helps young kids with braces break up debris in hard-to-reach areas.
- Has a built-in timer, so you know that you should spend 30 seconds brushing each quadrant of your mouth.
However you choose, just remember that the best toothbrush for you is the one that makes it easy—perhaps even enjoyable!—for you to brush regularly.
Follow our Instagram @risewellco to hear all updates from RiseWell and Dr. Derek!
About Dr. Derek
He is not only Co-Founder of RiseWell. Dr. Derek Gatta is a partner at Dr Max & Dr Gatta PLLC in Boca Raton, Florida. If you are in the area, he is your go-to dentist!